I think the wooden part of the sculpture is pretty much as I want it now.
Over the last few days I've been working out how the pieces of glass I made with Ingrid Pears fit around the sculpture. After several different configurations I think I've got a plan!
It has meant being brave and breaking up some of the glass pieces so that they fit around the curve of the wood better.
This is surprisingly low-tech - dunk glass and fine-toothed saw blade in water, score glass with saw, put on thick gloves and snap the glass. If I've done it right then it breaks with a satisfying little pop! If I haven't scored it enough, or it's a really thick piece, when I try to snap it then it feels more like my wrists or shoulders will go pop ... then I resort to hitting it with a hammer over a hard edge.
Then I take the sharp edges off with wet and dry paper so I don't cut myself when I go back to arranging the glass over the wood.
There's a layer of woodchips an inch thick all around my workbench. They go amazing colours on the wet studio floor. A rich dark red leaches out of the wood that's been soaking up water for some days. You could probably use the chips as a dye, in places the floor looks almost bloody.
Here's how the sculpture is looking at the moment. It's starting to take shape now, although there's a lot of refining to do before I can decide whether it will be smooth or still have the gouge marks showing.
About this blog
This blog, by Sarah Fiander, is about making sculpture.